Special Education Music Therapy FAQ

Special Education Music Therapy FAQ

Q    What ages does music therapy benefit?

A    Coast Music Therapy provides special education music therapy services to toddlers, children, teens, and young adults with autism and other special needs. We tailor our approaches for each age range to assure clients receive an age-appropriate experience.

Q    How can music therapy help in early intervention?

A    Music therapy is a joyful way to jump-start speech, language, learning readiness skills, play skills, and motor development. We encourage parents to join their toddlers in therapy sessions to learn strategies you can take home with you.

Q    What are the qualifications of a music therapist?

A    All of our music therapists have a minimum of a baccalaureate degree in music therapy and national board certification through the Certification Board for Music Therapists. In addition, many of our therapists have completed further training in Neurologic Music Therapy and Applied Behavior Analysis. We support ongoing continuing education and professional development to assure our staff are integrating the latest research-based interventions.

Q    How are music therapy services funded?
A    Coast Music Therapy services are currently funded through a student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) in the special education setting, and through private payment at our Mira Mesa clinic. At this time we do not accept insurance, but can provide you with monthly receipts to use for medical or tax purposes.

Q   How do students qualify for music therapy through the IEP?
A    Unlike the private therapy setting, music therapy services in the school setting must first by law be shown to be ‘required’ in order for the student to receive meaningful educational benefit. Ethically and legally it is the music therapist’s responsibility to determine through assessment whether music is necessary for the student to make progress, or whether music may be a helpful tool, but not a requirement.

Learn  More About Music Therapy through the IEP»»

Q   Can music therapy help typically-developing learners and siblings?
A    Coast Music Therapy encourages siblings to join in with music therapy sessions when appropriate in our clinic at no additional charge. This can be a great way to promote positive interaction and understanding.  Individual music lessons for siblings without special needs  are also available at our clinic to save you time in travel.

Q   Where can I find music therapy songs to use at school or home?

A    School districts and parents nationwide use the Tuned in to Learning curriculum, developed by Coast Music Therapy to target specific IEP goal areas.

Visit Tuned in to Learning»»

Q   How can I become a music therapist?
A    A professional music therapist holds a baccalaureate degree or higher in music therapy from one of 70+ college and university programs approved by the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA). After satisfying requirements of the degree, music therapists complete testing through the national Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT). Upon certification, music therapists receive the credential MT–BC (Music Therapist Board Certified).

Visit the AMTA Website»»
Visit the CBMT Website»»

Ask Us a Question

Contact Form»»

Music Therapy as a Student Project Topic
Music therapy is a fascinating field to explore for coursework requiring written and/or oral presentation. Below are links to information that may inspire an assignment.

Read How Music Therapy Works»»
Read How Research Validates Music Therapy»»
Read How Music Helps Individuals with Autism»»