Posted July 7th, 2022 by Coast Music Therapy
Make a difference for neurodivergent students who learn best through music while becoming an IEP expert in our unique school-based position (don’t worry there’s on the job training too). Join our close-knit, inspired team of Board Certified Music Therapists in sunny San Diego starting August 22, 2022. This full time salaried 10-month position follows the school year calendar with big time benefits and tons of time off.
This is an ideal position for adventure-bound therapists who like to travel, those of you have your own kiddos on a school year schedule, or the daring among you who enjoy diving into your own personal projects over the summer. Download our job flier here to share or post.
Help Our Students Shine!
Job Title: IEP-Based Special Education Music Therapist for Grades PreK-12
Start Date: August 22, 2022
Description: Be an integral part of the educational team and enjoy weekly time to connect with our creative crew of music therapists. You’ll have the opportunity to work with a diverse spectrum of students.
Hone your professional skills through individual and group sessions, co-treatment with teachers/SLPs/OTs/PTs, IEP meeting attendance, and progress monitoring. All of your documentation, meeting, and travel time is INCLUDED within your work hours and at your full salaried pay. Our therapists serve a variety of school sites Monday through Friday, primarily in the San Diego Unified School District and use our fully-equipped office near Kearny Mesa as a home base. Weekends are always OFF for you time.
Our full time school year position follows the San Diego Unified school year calendar. You’ll receive a full paid week of orientation starting August 22, 2022 before the school year officially begins August 29, 2022 and ends on June 14, 2023. You’re then free for the summer, but Coast continues to cover your health and dental benefits if you’ll be staying on for the next school year which starts mid August 2023!
Many of our therapists use this time to work at summer camps, take on service projects abroad, enroll in summer courses, or chill with family. If we get along famously, the position automatically renews each school year, so you’ll return back when school starts again.
Depending on our student rosters, there are some years that we may have an additional 4-5 weeks of summer school work available in July/August if you’re staying in town.
Salaried 10-month therapists are eligible for over $10,000 annually in benefits!!
-Competitive starting salary adjusted for the current financial climate. Your full time 10-month salary is guaranteed each week even if you have student cancellations. We also cover your time during the work day you spend traveling between sites, documenting, session planning, receiving supervision, and attending staff meetings.
– $1000 one time signing bonus and additional $1000 signing bonus if you have attended the full NMT training.
-$1000 ANNUAL end of school year bonus (if the therapist starts with us the first week of school rather than mid-year)
– 5 front-loaded sick days and paid bereavement leave (with no wait period and no accrual)
– 28 additional paid days off during your 10-month school year (ALL school holidays including 1 week spring break, 2 week winter break, 4 day President’s weekend, 1 week Thanksgiving break, and more)!!!
– $400/month toward a Health Net PPO plan or HMO if you prefer. For many of our therapists this covers their entire monthly premium. We continue to cover health/dental/vision over the summer even if you’re on break.
– Full dental and vision premium paid, no money comes out of your paycheck!
– 3% IRA Retirement fund match
– Generous continuing ed stipend that can be used toward CBMT dues, online trainings, music lessons, conferences, personal therapy sessions, or other relevant education that is meaningful to you
– Mileage paid at the federal rate (65.5 cents per mile as of 2023) for all visits to school sites
– $40 Monthly cell phone stipend
-Flexible schedule that changes daily. No services are provided during the evenings or weekends – all services are limited to the school day.
– Premier membership to AAA roadside assistance which includes 200 miles of free towing, rental car, lockout service for home and car, discounted travel, travel assistance, free identity theft insurance, and more!
Wait there’s more! You’ll have access to our:
-Recording studio to design interventions for your students, and for your personal use during non-work hours
-Your own iPad, desk and desktop computer at our state of the art Kearny Mesa office
-Full color copier and visual supports making wonderland (bindery equipment, laminating, Velcro, and more)
-Thousands of Music Therapist-designed digital songs, videos, slideshows, and visual supports for you to get inspiration from and use for consult with IEP teams
-Staff meetings including song and intervention shares, help with tricky cases, self-care tips, and therapy topics
-Supervision including monthly support from our Lead therapist or Director, on-site observation, peer shadowing, and messaging forums available daily to assist as questions arise
Do the below describe you to a tee? If yes, get in touch with us ASAP.
>>Passionate about helping students with autism and other special needs reach their potential.
>>No fear of using props, silly themes, introducing novelty into each session, and designing interventions that incorporate all the senses – our brilliant MT Talia even brought parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme into the classroom for a Simon & Garfunkel spin off 🙂
>>Outstanding organizational skills, consistent and quick response to correspondence, and impeccable follow-through.
>>SUPERpowers on voice and guitar.
Applicants must have a Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Music Therapy, MT-BC status (or taking exam within 3 months), reliable transportation, and must have a COVID vaccination, pass TB testing and a background check if hired (paid for by Coast Music Therapy).
Bonus Points if You Have…
>>Neurologic Music Therapy certification
>>Experience with the IEP process
>>Savvy tech skills
Reach Out to Director Michelle Lazar with your resume. We can’t wait to connect! Email: here