Music Therapy in San Diego
Our board certified music therapists use interactive, research-based music therapy interventions to support communication, academic concepts, motor skills, behavior, emotional development, and social skills. Music therapy sessions are ideal for children and teens with autism, developmental disabilities, and neurologic impairments who could benefit from new approaches to the skills they have been working on. For more information on music therapy as a related service through the IEP, click here.
Adapted Music Lessons
Has your child shown interest in an instrument? We offer one to one instruction of keyboard, guitar, ukulele, basic percussion, harp, and voice, specially adapted to each individual’s learning style and pace. Our specialized color-coded keyboard method, Pianimation®, was developed by the Coast Music Therapy staff to help students who have difficulty with traditional note reading.
Music Recording & DJ Instruction
Your tech-loving tween, teen, or young adult, will feel right at home in our state of the art recording studio. Students have the opportunity to write, record, and produce songs of their own even with no prior studio experience. We utilize digital recording programs including GarageBand that make it easy to compose music with or without musical instruments. Our new DJ lessons are a hit with students who love dance, hip-hop, or pop music and want to learn how to ‘spin’ some tunes on our turn-tables.
Music Therapy in Early Intervention
Music in therapy for babies and toddlers simply put… makes sense! We capitalize on your child’s interest and motivation for music to make therapy enjoyable while capitalizing on the unique impact music has on development. Common early intervention music therapy goals include communication, engagement, play skills, parent and sibling interaction, and learning readiness.
Under the supervision of multi-modal arts specialist Talia Morales, MT-BC, students can explore a full range of creative outlets including drawing, painting, sculpting, movement, drama, poetry, movie making, and yoga in order to cultivate new pathways to communication and self-expression.
Star Student Recitals
Coast Music Therapy’s annual recital offers students the opportunity to showcase their musical skills and talent for family and friends live on stage. Check out videos from past year’s recitals here.
Build-a-Binder: Music Therapy Songs for Home
Take music therapy home with you! We’ll help you select 8 music therapist-designed songs from our Tuned in to Learning program to support your child’s specific goals. You’ll receive a full color Learn-Along book, an 8-song CD and a 30-minute demonstration or phone consultation to help you get things started. Downloadable versions and slide-show video formats are also available.
Coast Music Therapy Excellence
Coast Music Therapy provides quality services, a safe and comfortable environment, and scheduling and travel convenience to San Diego-area families.
- Expressive arts equipment, including drawing table and chalkboard walls
- Full-size keyboards with keys weighted to feel like a piano
- Fully credentialed board certified music therapist staff
- iPod Touch and iPad technology
- Sessions that focus on the distinct needs of each learner
- State-of-the-art music recording studio
- Play space and book nook, fun-equipped for siblings waiting for students in sessions
- Therapy spaces that are calm, clean, well-maintained, uplifting, and inspiring
- Spatious lobby with comfy seating, complimentary water, community events information, and access to special needs publications
- Easy travel access from I-15, and close by the San Diego communities of Mira Mesa, Poway, and Scripps Ranch
- Music lessons, music recording, DJ instruction, and expressive art sessions open to typically developing siblings
- Scheduling available after school on weekdays and Saturdays
- Speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, tutoring, and applied behavior analysis (ABA) available in neighboring suites